The Mysterious Lever: The Land of Oriya

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Land of Oriya

Creating a world doesn't always start from the beginning of time. And you don't need to create the whole world, either. For Hostargo, I've tried to create a "land" area that holds enough interesting history and locations to ground the players in the setting, while also leaving enough room for expansion and manipulation of what's already there.

I started with how I envisioned the first recordings of man, and how it would have expanded throughout time. I started making ages that matched up to roughly what you would expect the technology levels of a civilization to be as they progressed. I also don't want to bore the readers, however, so I did about a paragraph of good detail for all of the six previous ages. Then, for the "current age", I will be putting all of the information about the present day setting.

For the map area, I was able to hire a very talented artist from The Cartographer's Guild named Josiah. I worked with him over many weeks to first draft, then tweak, and finally produce the following gorgeous map:


View the full size here!

I am very excited to place Hostargo within the Land of Oriya. The name Oriya came from me digging waaay deep into the internet for unique names. I can't even find my way back to where I was, but the word I was looking at meant "The Mother of all Consciousness", which given that the source of magic in my world is "memory", I thought it was fitting.

While the main game will obviously center around the city of Hostargo, this map inspires me; it makes me want to adventure int his land to all the neat places Josiah and I created. I hope you enjoy it as well (do not copy it, please), and it will be a main feature in the final RPG book :D

Thanks for checking it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment