The Mysterious Lever: Class Act

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Class Act

Progress slowed yesterday, as I took the opportunity to do some yard work (It's finally getting nice in Michigan! I know I just cursed it...) and play video games (currently playing: Dex).  But that didn't stop me from finishing up some decisions on weapons and armor.  I've got a nice base lain out once again so I can expand it as ideas come.

I spent most of my time fixing up small things here and there, as well as editing some of the Shortcomings and other character creation stuff thanks to some of the feedback I got yesterday - much appreciated guys, please keep it coming.

In other exciting news, I've gotten a hold of the artist who painted the main picture of this blog, the talented Frank Attmannspacher, and he has agreed to do a full blown commission of the City of Hostargo! While I have been using Frank's art as inspiration, and plan on putting all of the illustrations I have from him in the final book, it will be amazing to see my specific vision of Hostargo come to life through his work.

Today I plan to tackle a huge issue: character classes.  I know what classes I want, and I even know what their main abilities will be.  But organizing those into actual customizable packages is not just a simple matter of "here's your stuff".  I don't want a linear level up system like D&D, and I don't want a full customization system like Shadowrun.  I want choosable "packages", each that give characters a significant change (in power/options).  Likely, each package will come with skill upgrades, special abilities, new knowledge, new contacts, and/or access to new items.

That's all for now, cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of packages, especially if they have the same feel as your shortcomings from the last post. I'm curious, is gaining a package limited based on what they've done (with some options for the GM and players within each package) or an open option (e.g. players can fight masked robbers for two weeks and improve their murder investigation?)?

    Anyway, looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something that's unrealistic about these things, unfortunately. But, as more of an action focused game, I'm going for that open-option customization. What happens is that at the end of a "mission" when you either turn in the badguy (or his body), or report in that they got away, you'll get a "star" rating 1-5. Using stars, you can buy new packages for your character. Stars represent your 'promotional status' within SEA (Special Encounter Agency), so I'm explaining this away in that you take time to go to additional training courses, get higher security clearance, approval to use new tech, etc.

      Delete