The Mysterious Lever: Journal Entry: Slash & Burn

Sunday, July 8, 2018

Journal Entry: Slash & Burn

I missed a week or two, and it's because my mind has been focused on the tons of design work I've got in my lap. I'm DMing two bi-weekly D&D games, working on a design for an AR game by SightWeave, putting together playbooks for South of West, and trying to still slowly tackle Hostargo.

So we'll do a quick pause on the mini-series :)

As an update for Hostargo, I'm slashing two of the "classes"/"jobs", now just calling them "styles" to better suit how the character approaches situations:

Through movement/tactics = Vessel
Through chaos/disruption = Eddy
Through discretion/trickery = Weaver
Through control/balance = Warden
Through confrontation/force = Plow

I'm also slashing the crazy three-tiered corp/crew/gang idea.
That basically nullifies my answers for the Power 19... but oh well.
I've been inspired to focus much more on the city itself, and introducing core
mechanics for the city growing and having conflicts that the players must deal with.

I've also been working on tying in runes. Magnostone has always been a cool
thing that floats in the air and can be used as generator fuel,
but I never figured out why or how it's made. Now I'm going to say that it's
formed from the gathering of memory, much like how water evaporates and forms clouds.
But instead of causing rain, it will simply grow into the floating islands you see around the world.
Runes then will be formed from that stone, basically by animancers acting as
sculptors to make the memory-infused rock focused into some specific effect.

But the types of effects depend on the types of memory. Magnostone only forms with large amount of memory, such as from a city. Now, the ancient ruins of civilizations and races long forgotten are filled with unique magnostone deposits, which is exactly what the mine in Hostargo is: less of a mine and more of an archeological dig!

It's got me excited again, and that's really all you need to keep pushing forward :).

No comments:

Post a Comment