The Mysterious Lever: Hostargo Rewritten

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Hostargo Rewritten

When I started out with Hostargo I had a handful of interesting mechanical ideas. I put them into action, but needed some sort of setting to play in. As time grew, so did my setting, and the setting of Hostargo bloomed into something my playtesters started enjoying more than the system itself.

I began to focus on making the game work towards that setting. The adventures, the character designs, and even the rules were all being bent towards making the Hostargo setting come to life. As more playtests go by, it became clear that some, if not a lot of the mechanics were actually getting in the way of that.

So this year I started from scratch - again - in the sense that I went back to square one and asked each rule if it belonged to Hostargo. Unfortunately, most did not, and I have basically gutted and rewritten the entire game of Hostargo in the last few months. People have asked me for the latest changes, but that's a hard question. While there are a lot of similarities, the game has evolved past anything I had created before.

This time, I can actually answer a better question: why Hostargo? Why should anyone care about this game over the thousands of others that exist? Why would anyone want to buy this game? Well, I made a sort of sell-sheet in order to outline just that. Please take a look and let me know what you think (feel free to comment on the doc itself)!

No comments:

Post a Comment