The Mysterious Lever: Solo Design & The Lack of Motivation

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Solo Design & The Lack of Motivation

I don't really have a good excuse.  Sure, I've got my fair share of life's curve-balls, but nothing's really draining my motivation other than the sheer amount of work I still have left to do.

It's kind of a lonely place to be.  I want to share all of my thoughts and ideas; through this blog, through conventions, through just word of mouth. But I'm having trouble lately producing any good content to really talk about. It's not that I'm not excited - I surely am. It's not that I have a lack of ideas either. On the contrary, I feel like I have too many, coming too fast, too consistently.

I lack focus. When I sit down to my google document, I scroll through the outline (which itself is getting impressive) as the massive amount of TODOs and unwritten book sections stare back at me. I have all of it here, in my head. The hard part, of course, is actually getting it down on paper.

What do you do to get into the "jive" of things? For me, I like specifically setting out blocks of time where I can really dig in.  I find that the half hour sprints or few minute breaks just aren't cutting it.

2 comments:

  1. If you find the secret, tell me. I get bogged down just on the number of blog posts I want to write; forget about actual game design or fiction writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that. On one hand, this blog is helping me keep focused (at least up until this point). On the other, I usually spend a heck of a lot of time actually writing these things.

      Delete